Me and Momma and Big John by Mara Rockliff. Illustrated by William Low. Candlewick Press, 2012
1. Why is the boy so disappointed when he finally sees the stone his mother has been working on?
2. How is the boy feeling about his mother’s work by the story’s end? Why?
3. Do you think the boy’s momma is an artist? Why or why not?
Castle: How It Works by David Macaulay, with Sheila Keenan. Square Fish / David Macaulay Studio / Macmillan, 2012
1. If you were a visiting the castle in this book, what are some of the things you might see once you cross the drawbridge?
2. If you were an enemy, how might you try to get inside the castle in this book? What are some of the ways you learned those in the castle might try to stop you?
3. Why don’t you think people live in castles anymore?