Nora’s Chicks by Patricia MacLachlan. Illustrated by Kathryn Brown. Candlewick Press, 2013.
1. What are ways the author and illustrator let us know that Nora is lonely?
2. Who do we meet at the beginning of the story? What is happening then? Who do we meet in the middle of the story? What happens? At the end of the story, how have things changed for Nora?
3. How do Nora’s chicks help her?
This Is the Rope: A Story from the Great Migration by Jacqueline Woodson. Illustrated by James Ransome. Nancy Paulsen Books/Penguin, 2013.
1. Who is telling the story of the rope? About whom is she telling the story?
2. In what different ways is the rope used in the story?
3. What object does your family own that tells a story?