Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same by Grace Lin. Little, Brown, 2010
1. How are Ling and Ting alike?
2. How are Ling and Ting different?
3. Which do you think it is better to eat with: chopsticks or fork? Why?
1. “Pecan Pie Baby” is a nickname. Do you or does anyone you know have nicknames?
2. Why do you think Gia isn’t as excited about the baby as everyone around her seems to be?
3. Gia enjoys doing a lot of things with the adults in her life. What do you enjoy doing with the adults in your life?
4. What do you think Gia and the baby will do together?
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Dutton, 2010
1. Who was your favorite character in the book and why?
2. How is humor used to deal with difficult issues in this story?
3. There are many unlikely friendships in this book. Discuss an unlikely friendship you have had in your life.
Always Listen to Your Mother by Florence Parry Heide and Roxanne Heide Pierce. Illustrated by Kyle M. Stone. Disney / Hyperion, 2010
Lockdown by Walter Dean Myers. Amistad / HarperTeen, 2010
1. If you had a friend, like Reese’s friend Toon, who you knew was going to be beaten up, how would you respond?
2. Describe a situation where you overreacted in some way. How could you have handled it differently?
3. Describe ways Reese was “locked down.”