Giants Beware / The Scary Places Map BookOctober 1st, 2013 | Posted by in October | Intermediate (Grades 3-5) | 2013-2014
Giants Beware! by Jorge Aguirre. Illustrated by Rafael Rosado. First Second, 2012
1. Claudette has little patience with the grown-ups in her town who are afraid to go after the giant. Why do you think the adults are so afraid? Why do they go after Claudette and her friends?
2. Everyone thinks the giant threatening the town is a “baby-feet-eating giant.” In the end, they discover it’s just a baby giant that loves tickling feet. How / why do you think the story about the giant got so turned around?
3. Gaston and Marie aren’t as brave as Claudette but they set off with her anyway. How does each of the three play a role in their success? Has there ever been a time in your life when you and friends or family members have all contributed in different ways to a project or journey’s success?
The Scary Places Map Book: Seven Terrifying Tours by B. G. Hennessy. Illustrated by Erwin Madrid. Candlewick Press, 2012
1. All of the maps in this books have several features in common. Name at least two things that all of them share.
2. What are three of the dangers to watch out for in “The Land of the Golden Apples”?
3. Who is Mabel in the Western Territories? What does she carry in her pack?
4. If you were designing a scary place, what would it include?
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.