Unspoken / ChickadeeFebruary 1st, 2014 | Posted by in Intermediate (Grades 3-5) | 2013-2014 | February
Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole. Scholastic Press, 2012
1. Who is the person hiding and who or what are they running from? How can you tell?
2. Do you think this is the first time someone has hidden on this family’s farm and gotten help? What can you point to in the illustrations that make you think yes or no?
3. Why do you think the illustrator chose to tell this story without any words?
4. If you were the girl in the story and discovered someone hiding and in need of help, what would you do?
1. Chickadee is taken hundreds of miles from his home and has to find his own way back when he escapes. What knowledge does he draw on? Who are some of his helpers?
2. Everyone in Chickadee’s family is worried about him and misses him, especially his twin, Makoons. What are some of the ways Makoons responds to missing his brother? Why do you think Chickadee’s disappearance is so hard for him in particular?
3. Describe the characters of Babiche and Baptiste. In what ways were they funny? In what ways were they scary?
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.