1. How do you think the order in which the books are read impacts a reader’s perspective on the rebellion?
2. How is the influence of religious and spiritual beliefs in this pairing of books developed? How do Four Girl and Bao’s religious beliefs, as portrayed across the two books, parallel one another?
3. What elements of this book can you find in today’s headlines about similar religious or political conflict?
Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices by Mitali Perkins. Candlewick Press, 2013.
1. How does the use of humor in these stories help to open discussions about race and ethnicity?
2. What are some similarities between the styles and perspectives of the short stories? What are some differences?
3. Choose one of the stories. What is the author’s experience with racial and ethnic differences? How does the author convey this in his or her story? How does humor help the author explore and understand these differences?
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.