A Friendship for Today by Patricia C. McKissack. Scholastic Press, 2007
Pick-Up Game: A Full Day of Full Court edited by Marc Aronson and Charles R. Smith Jr. Candlewick Press, 2011
1. This book was written with each author adding to the sequence of stories. In what way(s) were you surprised by something revealed in a later story about a character or characters introduced in a previous story?
2. Do you know much about basketball? How do you think your knowledge/lack of knowledge about basketball affected your response to the stories?
3. Choose a character you would like to be friends with. Why?
Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney. Illustrated by Sean Qualls. Little, Brown, 2011
1. Why was Joe Louis such a powerful figure for the African American community?
2. The radio was an important way to build community in this story. How do today’s technologies both build community and isolate us from one another?
3. What do you think happened to the characters after the story ended?