Ask the Passengers / Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the UniverseMay 1st, 2014 | Posted by in High School | 2013-2014 | May
Ask the Passengers by A. S. King. Little, Brown, 2012
1. Would you encourage Astrid to label herself and come out, or support her desire to resist labeling? Why?
2. Astrid resists the conformity and small-mindedness of her town. In what ways does she defy it? In what ways does she unintentionally participate in the culture she despises?
3. What do you think Astrid’s conversations with “Frank” (Socrates) do for her?
4. What purpose do you think the chapters in which Astrid sends out her love to the passengers of airplanes serves? What do they reveal about Astrid? What do they reveal about life beyond the confines of her small town
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamine Alire Sáenz. Simon & Schuster, 2012
1. Ari considers himself a loner and is surprised by how much he enjoys spending time with Dante. Why do you think the two boys get along so well? In what ways do their characters differ? How are they similar? How do they complement one another?
2. How does the secret about Ari’s brother affect Ari and his family?
3. This book is set in the late 1980s. Are there things you can point to that make it feel different from today in terms of attitudes toward being gay? Are there things that seem the same?
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.