FEBRUARY (1)May 16th, 2017 | Posted by in Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers | 2017-2018 | 2017-2018 Babies, Toddlers & Preschoolers | February
Old Dog Baby Baby by Julie Fogliano. Illustrated by Chris Raschka. A Neal Porter Book / Roaring Brook Press, 2016
A family’s old dog is perfectly content to spend the day snoozing but “here comes baby baby crawling across the kitchen floor.” The dog has no choice but to wake up. He seems to enjoy the attentions of the baby, even the poking and paw-squeezing, but before long both dog and baby are stretched out together on the kitchen floor asleep. The gentle rhythmic text uses just a few words to show the loving relationship between the two, and the watercolor illustrations are comfortingly soft-edged, showing a rotund blonde baby. The rest of the family plays a minimal role but, when shown, includes two moms. (Ages 2–4) © Cooperative Children’s Book Center
Try these early literacy activities with children:
- Read: “The Kitten’s” Dream” from Goodnight Songs
- Talk: About pets. Do you have any pets in your family? What is your favorite kind of pet?
- Sing: “BINGO” or other dog song
- Write: Draw a picture of your dream pet.
- Play: Act out how to approach an animal. How would you approach a family pet? An animal or pet that is new to you? Who should you ask for permission to approach a pet?
- Math or Science: Talk about life cycles and animal names. How are puppies different from dogs, kittens different from cats.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.