MARCH (2)May 16th, 2017 | Posted by in Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers | 2017-2018 | 2017-2018 Babies, Toddlers & Preschoolers | March
Rescue Squad No. 9 by Mike Austin. Random House, 2016
“Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!” The distress call launches Rescue Squad No. 9 into action. A boat and helicopter and their team of rescue workers speed to the aid of a young sailor and her dog when a storm strands them on rocks. Few words are needed in this action-filled story told primarily through the illustrations. Bright colors, bold figures, and skillfully crafted page composition lend movement and a sense of urgency to this successful rescue at sea. (Ages 2–6) © Cooperative Children’s Book Center
Try these early literacy activities with children:
- Read: As you read, explore print awareness. Ask the children how they know which direction the pages should go.
- Talk: About how loud noises can be scary, but remind children that it means people are helping others. Encourage them to look for helpers.
- Sing: A song about the weather, the ocean or helpers.
- Write: Trace the safety gear on the end papers of the book.
- Play: Reenact the story. Use toy boats or other objects you can pretend are boats.
- Math or Science: Discuss water science and safety. Look at the information in the back of the book.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.